8 Amazing SodaStream Alternatives That are Better (2022)
The 8 Best Alternatives to SodaStream are:
- DrinkMate –The Best option if you want to stick with the SodaStream model without the SodaStream brand.
- Sparkel Beverage System – Ideal if you dont want to use CO2 Tanks.
- Aarke – A High-End Sleek Sparkling Water Maker.
- KitchenAid Sparkling Water Maker – Great for making large quantities of Sparkling Water.
- Isi Soda Siphons – Most portable and easiest to store away.
- Portable Soda Siphons
- DIY Methods -This refers to making your own Carbonation Machine. (In the long run, you would save a ton of money on CO2 gas).
- Using Household Ingredients – to Make Sparkling Water, s
uchas the Dry Ice Method. (Which is a great method to make large amounts of Sparkling water).
1- The DrinkMate
The Drinkmate is made by I-Drink Products Inc based in Michigan and is currently the second most popular carbonation appliance maker in the world.
The Drinkmate is my top recommended alternative to any SodaStream machine.
The Drinkmate’s basic design is very similar to a SodaStream, so much so that the same SodaStream CO2 Canisters would work with the DrinkMate.
The big difference with the DrinkMate is that it allows you to carbonate any beverage such as Juice or Wine, unlike SodaStream products which limit you to only carbonate water.
Just imagine making Sparkling White Wine or Bubbly Orange Juice.
How to Set Up and Use the DrinkMate
You Can See the DrinkMate in Action in The Video Below.
The DrinkMate will come with;
- A Plastic Carbonating bottle which holds the water to be carbonated,
- An Adapter which is also known as the fizz infuser,
- The Machine and
- You will need to get CO2 Cylinders– The same as SodaStream Machines.
- Now the first thing you need to do is screw on the CO2 tank onto the back of the Drinkmate
- Secondly, fill the plastic Carbonation bottle with the beverage of your choice
- Then screw on the adapter onto the plastic bottle
- Next, attach the bottle with the adapter on the Drinkmate.
- Then press the carbonation button on top of the DrinkMate a couple of times until you hear a buzz
- After which take off the bottle and adapter from the DrinkMate
- Flip the silver part of the adapter up to slowly let out the CO2 do this for roughly 45 seconds.
- Then release the blue part which is under the silver section for 45 seconds
- Finally, once the pressure seems stable unscrew the adapter and pour the beverage into a glass.
DrinkMate Vs SodaStream
The main difference the DrinkMate has over the SodaStream is the fact that it can carbonate any beverage, this is due to the fact that it comes with an adapter also known as the Fizz infuser. Citation.
The adapter is what makes The DrinkMate so awesome.
You see if you try to carbonate something other than water – (like orange juice) inside a SodaStream the CO2 gas won’t dissolve so easily.
Instead, a lot of the CO2 gas ends up staying inside the bottle and when you open that bottle all the pressure is released in a foamy explosion.
Now the Adapter has a release that allows you to slowly and safely release the excess CO2 gas to avoid overflows and foamy messes.
Cons of the DrinkMate:
- Relies on CO2 tanks or canisters if you are trying to run from having to exchange CO2 tanks, the Drinkmate is not for you so keep on reading for other alternatives.
- A Little More Costly than a Budget SodaStream The Drinkmate tends to be more expensive than the ultra cheap and older SodaStream models
- Though the Drinkmate carries the same price as more modern SodaStream Models
- And the fact that you can carbonate any beverage, in my opinion, more than makes up for the extra couple of dollars.
- Tends to Use more CO2 so you will end up having to exchange CO2 tanks more often.
- This is due to the DrinkMate needing more CO2 gas to carbonate other beverages.
Pros Of the Drinkmate:
- Can Safely Carbonate any Beverage without losing your warranty unlike most of its competitors.
- The DrinkMate doesn’t have overflows which can cause a foamy mess
- This is because of the design and the adapter.
- Uses CO2 cylinders and tanks that can be easily exchanged at a lot of locations at a reasonable price this is because they use the same kind of cylinders like SodaStream.
- So if you are accustomed to exchanging your SodaStream at a certain location you can keep using them.
- Made in America so it’s heavily regulated to ensure safety and quality.
Who Should Get a Drinkmate?
1- If you want to safely carbonate any beverage then DrinkMate is perfect for you with it you can carbonate juices such as apple, pineapple, and orange juice and you can even make sparkling wine
2- Now If you and your family had a SodaStream and you are ok with the CO2 canister exchange system and you are just looking to upgrade.
The Drinkmate is great since you can still use your SodaStream tanks and continue to exchange them at the same locations.
3- Awesome Gift for someone who already likes or has a SodaStream this is an ideal upgrade for them.
Where You Can Get the Drinkmate
Amazon usually has The DrinkMate in stock and at good prices, you click here to see the current price there.
Just make sure that you buy CO2 tanks to go with it, my advice is to buy a twin tank set it usually works out cheaper you can click to see the current price on Amazon.
You can also get them at Walmart, click to see the current price there.
Alternatives to SodaStream Tanks
Currently, the only alternative CO2 tanks or canisters that I could find are made by the DrinkMate Company and are available in 14.5 ounces and each can carbonate 60 liters of liquids.
DrinkMate CO2 tanks are also certified by the FDA to be of food-grade quality, click to see the price of a pair on Amazon.
These tanks can work with most SodaStream appliances as well.
Though I am not so sure if SodaStream or one of their affiliates would exchange them for you.
I would advise sticking with SodaStream Tanks.
2- Sparkel Beverage System
The Sparkel appliance is the most unique carbonation appliance featured in this article.
It differs in one key aspect that it doesn’t rely on CO2 tanks to carbonate water.
Instead, it Uses Carbonation Sachets instead of CO2 tanks.
With the Sparkel, you won’t have any more hassle of having to exchange and store bulky tanks
The Sparkel was designed and made by a Canadian Company so I am confident that the product is of the
How Does The Sparkel Work
The Sparkel carbonates water using Carbonation Sachets.
The sachets contain a powder that is made of a mixture of citric acid, and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), and both of which are food-grade ingredients.
Now when a carbonation powder is placed in the Sparkel it makes CO2 gas which is then transferred to the water and thus carbonates it.
I need to emphasize that the Carbonation Powder is not directly added to the water instead they are placed in a separate compartment and only the CO2 gas produced is then transferred to the water.
So no chemicals are added to your water.
1 carbonation sachet will make a one-liter bottle of carbonated beverage.
You can see the Sparkel in action in the short video below.
Cons of the Sparkel
- You will still have to order CO2 Sachets when finished, though they are much cheaper than CO2 tanks.
- The carbonation process is much slower than a SodaStream think 4-5 minutes to fully carbonate.
- The Sparkel uses electricity unlike most SodaStream machines or The DrinkMate
Pros of the Sparkel
- Very Affordable – the Sparkel Beverage System’s price is comparable to the DrinkMate or a SodaStream.
- You can carbonate any beverage safely from Ice to Juices, you are limited only by your imagination
- You won’t have the hassle of dealing with bulky hard to store and sometimes hard to find CO2 tanks.
- Cost of shipping carbonation sachets tend to be cheaper than shipping CO2 tanks
- You won’t need to average whether the beverage is fully carbonated, one sachet per bottle, no guesswork needed.
Who Should Get a Sparkel Beverage System
- If you are tired of dealing with bulky CO2 tanks, CO2 tanks or canisters can be a pain in the butt to deal with
- Anyone not living close to a location where you can exchange CO2 tanks,
- my sister is a perfect example of this she has to drive 30 minutes just to exchange her empty SodaStream tanks.
- If you are looking for a Carbonation appliance that can carbonate any beverage.
Where To Get the Sparkel Beverage System
Currently, the Sparkel is available on Amazon you can click to see the Current Price.
Also, don’t forget to buy lots of Carbonation Sachets click to see a package of 90 packs on Amazon.
3- Aarke Sparkling Water Maker
The Aarke Sparkling water maker has a very sleek design made completely of stainless steel, giving it an unparalleled aesthetic look.
The Aarke just like a SodaStream is used to make only sparkling water, meaning if you use it to carbonate any other beverage you would void the two-year warranty that it comes with. Citation.
How the Aarke Works
The Aarke works just like a SodaStream, they even use the same CO2 tanks.
You can click to check out a short video to see the Aarke in action
How the Aarke Differs from a SodaStream?
The main difference I would say is that the Aarke is sold as being a premium Sparkling water maker with a much higher price and a more modern look.
Unlike the SodaStream which is made mostly of plastic and with a focus on utility rather than appearance.
Also since it is made of Stainless steel this should give the Aarke an edge in strength and
Cons of the Aarke
Being so similar to the SodaStream causes the Aarke to have all the Cons associated with using a SodaStream such as;
- having the annoyance to always have to exchange CO2 tanks and
- also not being able to carbonate anything other than just plain water.
- Plus the Aarke comes with a much higher initial cost than the SodaStream,
- this is
extracost is due to the fact that it is made completely of stainlesssteel.
Who Should Get the Aarke?
The Aarke would work perfectly as a gift, with its aesthetic look, it is sure to impress.
It would work great as a Christmas or birthday gift for a close friend or colleague or maybe a perfect wedding present.
And if you have a couple of extra dollars to spend I think the Aarke would go nicely if you already have a neatly designed kitchen.
Where You Can Get the Aarke
You can purchase the Aarke on Amazon click to see the current price.
Also, don’t forget your tanks click to see twin CO2 tanks that will work with the Aarke.
4- KitchenAid Sparkling Beverage Maker
The KitchenAid Sparkling Beverage Maker is a Premium Sparkling Water Maker.
Its made by the KitchenAid Company, one of the largest and oldest home appliance makers in the world. Citation.
The KitchenAid Sparkling Beverage Maker is also made right here in America.
How The KitchenAid Works?
The KitchenAid Sparkling Beverage Maker is very similar to a SodaStream, it works using a CO2 tank or Canister (the very same ones used by SodaStream) to carbonate water.
The Kitchenaid uses the same system, where you have to;
- screw on the CO2 canister at the back of the appliance and
- attach the provided plastic bottle filled with water preferably cold water.
- then press the lever to carbonate
- Unsnap the bottle and pour yourself a glass of sparkling water.
It, just, like SodaStream is limited by the Company to only make Sparkling water.
How the KitchenAid Differs from a SodaStream
The KitchenAid Sparkling Beverage Maker is designed with sturdiness and toughness in mind.
It is made almost completely of solid metal and weighs almost 19 pounds in comparison to the SodaStream Jet weighs around 4 pounds.
The KitchenAid was, in my opinion, seemed to be made for almost near commercial usage.
Cons of the KitchenAid:
- Will Need to Get CO2 refills
- The Kitchen Aid is limited to Carbonate only Water
- Costs more than most Bargain SodaStream Machines.
- Tends to use more CO2 than a regular SodaStream, I think this is because it probably makes water extra carbonated.
- Larger than a SodaStream so it will take up more space than on your kitchen counter.
Who Should Get the KitchenAid Sparkling Water Maker?
I think because of the extra cost attached to the KitchenAid and along with its sturdy design the KitchenAid seems more suitable for;
- A large family that makes a lot of sparkling water and Homemade Sodas.
- A Small Restaurant or Bar which would use a lot more sparkling water than a regular home.
Where can You Get the KitchenAid Sparkling Water Maker
You can find the KitchenAid on Amazon click to see the current price.
And twin CO2 tanks to go with the KitchenAid click to see the price on Amazon.
Soda Siphons are small carbonation utensils that consist of
- A Container that holds the water to be carbonated in, this can vary from being metal to plastic.
- And the head that holds the CO2 cartridges that contain the CO2 to carbonate the water.
Soda Siphons are different than normal carbonation appliances in that;
- They Use CO2 stored in very small Cartridges or also sometimes referred to as Charges
- Siphons tend to be smaller and much more portable than regular appliances.
Cons of a Soda Siphon:
- The price of the CO2 cartridges can add up over time so be wary of this
- CO2 tanks tend to cheaper in the long run, once you are willing to go through the effort to exchange the tanks.
- Soda Siphons take a much longer time to carbonate, you even need to shake the bottle up to make the water extra carbonated
- Soda Siphons won’t give you a high level of carbonation like a SodaStream.
- You can’t control how much CO2 is added with a Soda Siphon.
- Most Soda Siphons are limited to make only sparkling water and you probably shouldn’t carbonate any other beverage since you
can ‘ tcontrol how much CO2 is released.
Advantages of a Soda Siphon:
- Don’t need any CO2 tanks, work with CO2 cartridges also known as Charges which are easier and cheaper to ship.
- Soda Siphons tend to be smaller making it easier to move around perfect for outdoor and backyard events and also they take up a lot less space over an appliance.
Who Should Get a Soda Siphon
1- I think a Soda Siphon is more practical for a small family or an individual that probably won’t use too much sparkling water.
Why because the individual cost of the Cartridges tends to be higher than let’s say exchanging CO2 tanks.
If your family or you tend to use a lot of sparkling water the cost of those cartridges will add up.
Now on the other hand if you are the type of person that occasionally enjoys a glass of sparkling water a Soda Siphon might be your best bet.
2- Anyone that hates getting CO2 tanks or canisters exchanged very often or maybe just can’t find close by places to exchange.
The CO2 cartridges tend to be easier to find or at least ship, though remember this comes at a higher cost.
3- If you are looking to make sparkling water on the go or at the office. Soda Siphons are much more portable than carbonation appliances.
4- Soda Siphons are also great for back-yard and outdoor events.
There are two Soda Siphons I would recommend the Isi Soda Siphon and a Portable Soda Siphon.
5- Isi Soda Siphon
I have used the Isi Soda Siphon several times through my parents, who have had one for almost 7 years now and they have yet to have any complaints about it.
The Isi Soda Siphon is a typical Soda Siphon the kind that you would probably see in a bar that is used to make sparkling cocktails.
The Isi Soda Siphon is one of the most common Soda Siphons available, this gives it a huge advantage over other Soda Siphons because you can more readily find CO2 cartridges when needed.
Also, the Isi Soda Siphon is made of stainless steel giving it an edge in strength
How the Isi Soda Siphon Works
It works by using CO2 cartridges which when screwed onto the head of the Soda Siphon releases the CO2 into water, then by pressing the small lever on the side of the head, it sprays out the now carbonated water.
How to Use the Isi Soda Siphon.
Your Isi Soda Siphon will come with a Head, a Stainless steel Bottle, two tubes and you will have to also get CO2 cartridges.
You can click to check Out a Short Video to see the Isi Soda Siphon in Action.
Tips when Using the Isi Soda Siphon
- Leave the Soda Siphon in the fridge preferably in the freezer section,
- the colder the bottle makes the water that is added even colder
- Now with a colder environment in the bottle increases the rate that CO2 dissolves in the water and makes the water extra carbonated.
- Shake vigorously after you have screwed the CO2 cartridge on this also increases the rate that the CO2 dissolves in the water
- After shaking let the water settle for 10-15 minutes.
Where You Can Get the Isi Soda Siphon
My parents bought their Isi Siphon on Amazon they usually have them at great prices you can click to see the current price of the Isi.
Don’t forget the CO2 cartridges, click to see the price on Amazon for a package of 10 cartridges.
6- Portable Soda Siphon
A Portable Soda Siphon is a new design of the typical Soda Siphon. I have never used it before but the sleek new design is what made me include it in this article.
How a Portable Soda Siphon Work?
A Portable Soda Siphon just like the Isi Soda Siphon works with CO2 cartridges.
The CO2 cartridges are inserted into the head, which is like a large cork, which is then screwed onto a plastic bottle (which is different from the Isi which is Stainless steel), and then the CO2 is released into the water.
Isi Soda Siphon Vs a Portable Soda Siphon
- The basic design of a portable soda siphon has a slightly simpler design with a simpler screw system over the Isi Soda Siphon
- The Isi has a big advantage in that its made of stainless steel making it much tougher than a portable one
- Portable Soda Siphons are usually not dishwasher friendly since the hot water reduces the strength of the plastic bottle.
- Portable Siphons are more affordable than the Isi roughly half the price this is due to it being made of plastic whilst the Isi is stainless steel.
- My favorite part and why I would recommend the Isi Soda Siphon over a Portable one is the fact that the Isi has that lever and nozzle system that sprays out sparkling water.
- I love that spray system it looks really neat especially at parties and events you can pour out a glass of sparkling water in a cool manner, makes you feel like a bartender.
- Now the portable soda siphon, on the other hand, is more portable than the Isi since when you unscrew the head and screw on a cork it can work as a water bottle with sparkling water that you can carry around.
Where you can Get a Portable Soda Siphon
Amazon usually has the portable soda siphon in stock you click to see the current price this one comes with 8 cartridges.
GrowlerWerks CO2 cartridges work with these types of soda siphons, you can click here to see the price for a box.
7 & 8- Homemade Alternatives to a SodaStream
I must warn you that these two alternatives are not regulated by the federal government, so they come with an inherent risk proceed with caution.
I have two great options for you;
- Dry Ice Method: Which is where you add dry ice to carbonate water.
- DIY Carbonation Kit: This is basically making your own Carbonation appliance.
Both of these methods are great alternatives in their own way.
DIY Method is very cost-effective in the long run and Dry Ice is perfect for carbonating large quantities of water.
You can read more about these two methods in my article on How to Carbonate Water Without a Machine.
Why would you want an Alternative to SodaStream
In my opinion, the SodaStream sparkling water makers are pretty good products that usually live up to their expectations.
But there are very valid reasons why you would want another option.
Reasons you would want an alternative:
Meaning how far you live from a place to exchange SodaStream CO2 an empty SodaStream tank.
SodaStream works with a CO2 tank that contains CO2 that is used to Carbonate the water, now when the CO2 is finished you are going to need to exchange the CO2 tank for another one.
Currently, the federal government has some strict regulations governing the shipping of pressurized tanks, which means you will have to go to a location to exchange the tanks such as Walmart, Costco or Bed Bath and Beyond.
My sister still complains about having to travel an hour just to exchange her empty CO2 SodaStream canisters just because her nearby Walmart doesn’t do exchanges.
Now there are alternatives that can save you the hassle of having to constantly be exchanging tanks or having to travel out of the way to exchange the tanks.
The Sparkel, Soda Siphons, the Dry Ice, and also to some extent the DIY Carbonation Kit are good alternatives that can help.
The big cost attached to a SodaStream usually is not the initial cost but instead the cost of constantly having to exchange tanks.
If long-term cost is a big factor for looking for an alternative to a SodaStream the DIY carbonation kit is your best bet on cutting costs in the long term.
Currently, the SodaStream Company limits its appliances to only carbonate water.
You can carbonate other liquids but you do this at your own risk, by losing your warranty on the appliance.
Now if you want the flexibility to carbonate any beverage the alternatives are; The Drinkmate, Sparkel, Dry Ice Method, and the DIY Method are good options that will carbonate any beverage.
Alternative SodaStream Syrups and Flavors
You can click and read my article on 9 Amazing Alternative to SodaStream Syrups.
Thank-you for this very comprehensive article!
Sodastream is made in Palestina on occupied land by the Zionists that govern the Israëlian state. If you use Sodastream you support the occupatian, war and “Apartheid”. Note: I don’t judge People by there religion, gender a.s.o…. and I dislike antisemitism!!!
I also came here looking for alternatives due to Sodastream’s problematic production in occupied Palestine. Thank you for all of these suggestions.
Comments are closed.