There are four easy ways to make carbonated water without using a CO2 tank;
- Using a Soda Siphon
- Sparkel Beverage System
- Dry Ice Method
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Method
1- Soda Siphons
Soda Siphons are one of the most popular ways to make sparkling water without using a CO2 tank.
They work using small CO2 cartridges also known as Charges, that you insert into the soda siphon which then releases the CO2 gas and thus carbonates the water.
Soda Siphons consist of;
- A Container that holds the water to be carbonated
- A Head that is screwed on to the container, the head is also where the CO2 cartridges are inserted, and thus responsible for releasing the CO2 to carbonate the water.
- CO2 cartridges contain CO2 which is added to water to carbonate it. One cartridge usually carbonates one container of water.
The soda siphon that I recommend is the Isi Soda Siphon.
I don’t own one of these but my parents have had one for ages and I have used it a lot of times.
1- Isi Soda Siphon
The Isi Soda Siphon is a classic soda siphon.
Its one of the most common Soda Siphons around, making CO2 cartridges that work with it much easier to find.
The Isi container is made of stainless steel and comes with a nozzle that sprays out carbonated water when the lever on the side of the head is pressed.
How the Isi Soda Siphon Works
The Isi has a simple set up, I found a really short video below to show the Isi in action.
Pros of A Soda Siphon
- Very Portable easy to carry around and plus really easy to store.
- Sleek design that goes really good with your kitchen and you won’t mind showing off at parties.
- Initial Cost is low the Isi is more affordable compared to any SodaStream appliance.
- Very Easy to Set-Up and Use this is why my parents prefer Soda Siphons over SodaStream.
- Most Common Soda Siphon available this makes CO2 cartridges and information on the Isi easy to find.
Cons of the Soda Siphons
- the Cost for CO2 cartridges can add up over time, the SodaStream CO2 tanks tend to work out more cost-effective over time.
- Soda Siphons don’t give the strong levels of carbonation like a SodaStream, you even have to roughly shake the Soda Siphon to make the water more carbonated.
Who Should Get a Soda Siphon
- If you intend to carbonate water on frequently think twice a day the Soda Siphon is probably not for you unless you are ok with extra cost.
- Now the Soda Siphon is perfect for those who want the occasional sparkling water think three or four times a week without the hassle of dealing with CO2 tanks.
- Soda Siphons are also the best way to make carbonated beverages on the go or outdoors think picnics or camping, also I have heard individuals even use them at the office.
Tips When Using the Isi Soda Siphon
- Only carbonate cold water, CO2 dissolves better in cold water.
- To make the water colder, my parents usually put their Isi in the freezer to store it even if its empty, this is to make the container extra cold so when the water is added it can carbonate much better.
- Once you have inserted the CO2 cartridges shake the Soda Siphon vigorously, this helps to increase the surface area of the water and makes the CO2 dissolve faster.
- After shaking let the water rest for 15 minutes in the fridge before drinking.
Where Can You Get An Isi Soda Siphon
Amazon usually has great deals on the Isi Soda Siphon, you can click to see the current price of the Isi on Amazon.
Also, don’t forget the CO2 cartridges you can click to check the price of a Packet of 10 cartridges on Amazon.
2- Sparkel Beverage System
The Sparkel Beverage System is a new and innovative appliance that uses Carbonation Sachets instead of CO2 tanks to carbonate water. Citation.
It is one of the easiest and effective ways to make sparkling water without using any CO2 tanks.
You can see how it works in the Video Below.
Now if you want to learn more about The Sparkel Beverage System, you can click here to read my full review.
Where To Buy Sparkel Beverage System
The Sparkel is available on Amazon who usually has great deals on them, you can click to see the current price.
Make sure you buy lots of Carbonation Sachets, you can click to see the current price on Amazon for a box of 90.
Now when carbonation Sachets run out you have to order more thankfully the shipping costs are much less than CO2 tanks.
Other Homebased Methods to make Carbonated W
These two other methods are all home-based and not regulated or tested by the federal government, please be safe, remember you are dealing with compressed gas and other potentially dangerous elements.
The other two methods are:
If you are interested in learning more about these two home-based methods you can check out my article How to Make Carbonated Water without a Machine