In this article, I will guide you step by step How to safely make Amazing Creamy Nitro Coffee at Home.
But before we get into it, I know some of you might be wondering just what really is Nitro Coffee.
Nitro Coffee Recipe
- Whip Cream Dispenser
- Nitro Charger
- 1/2 Cup Ground Coffee
- 4 Cups Water
- The first thing you need to do is make your cold brew coffee.
- To do so you need to mix your preferred ground coffee with water
- The ideal ratio for me is 1/2 cup of ground coffee to 4 cups of water
- this will give you around 1 liter of strong coffee
- Next, you need to let the mixture steep for at least 12-14 hours at room temperature.
- The longer you let it steep the stronger the cold brew will be.
- Once the mixture has rested you need to filter out the ground coffee using a cheesecloth or a coffee filter.
- Next, you need to taste your cold brew if you find that it’s too strong, dilute it with some water
- Now once your cold brew is to your liking, you need to place your coffee into the fridge until it is chilled
- Once your cold brew has chilled pour your cold brew coffee into your whip cream maker
- Next, screw on your charger to release the Nitrogen gas
- And then vigorously shake your whip cream dispenser up to allow the nitrogen gas to diffuse throughout the coffee
- I would advise letting the dispenser rest in the fridge for 15 minutes to allow the gas to dissolve completely into the cold brew coffee,
- some people leave it to rest for a lot longer even overnight
- Finally, you can proceed to pour out your nitro coffee into a glass cheers.
- For more information you can check out the video below.
The only difference with his method is that I would advocate leaving the ground coffee to steep for 12-14 hours, instead of his 48 hours.
This is because
Another thing that I would add is that he needs to allow his nitro coffee to rest once it’s been infused with nitrogen, this allows the gas to diffuse completely into the liquid so it won’t be so foamy
Advantages of Using a Whip Cream Dispenser to Make Nitro Coffee
1- Cost of Dispenser and Chargers are low:
Whip cream dispensers and chargers are very budget friendly when compared to having to purchase expensive parts to set up a kegerator
2- Easy to Set up and Use
Compared to a Kegerator Whipped Cream Dispensers are very easy to use. Just two basic steps; pouring the coffee in and then screwing on the charger, no rocket science here
3- Very Portable and Easy to store
Dispensers are very small most being the size of a 1-liter bottle making them easy to move around and ideal for storage.
And because they are so compact they fit easily in your fridge
Disadvantages of Using a Whipped Cream Dispenser to Make Nitro Coffee
Not Ideal to Make Large Quantities of Nitro
If you are planning to make a lot of Nitro Coffee think more than 3 liters a day, using a whipped cream dispenser would end up costing you more time and money,
The cost for those nitro chargers would add up.
So if you plan to sell Nitro Coffee, ideally you should invest in a Kegerator which would be able to make large quantities quickly and easily once it is set up properly
Where Can You Buy A Whip Cream Dispenser
You can get a really good whip cream dispenser at a fair price on Amazon you can click to see the price of the one I use.
Or if you already have a whipped cream dispenser you can use it.
Where To Get Nitro Chargers.
The next thing you would need to consider is the nitrogen chargers or cartridges.
The Nitrous Oxide Chargers, Amazon usually has them in stock you can click to see the price of the ones I use.
Tips When Making Nitro Coffee
- Dont put your coffee and water in the fridge to steep, instead, let it steep at room temperature,
- you see when you place your coffee and water at room temperature the coffee dissolves faster and you get a much stronger blend.
- If you are in a hurry you can make your cold brew coffee at room temperature then add ice to it to rapidly cool it down and then strain out ice before adding it to your dispenser.
- Make your cold brew as cold as possible before adding it to your dispenser.
- The reason why is that Nitrogen would dissolve better in a colder liquid than a warm liquid.
How To Make Cold Brew Coffee Easily
The easiest way to make Cold brew Coffee is to use a Cold Brew Coffee Maker.
These are simple kitchen utensils that make cold brew coffee fast. easier and most important without making a mess by using a coffee filter or a cheesecloth.
The one that I use is the Takeya Cold Brew Coffee Maker you can click to see the price of it on Amazon.
You can see how it works in the video below.
Pros of the Takeya Cold Brew Maker
- The biggest reason why I like this cold brew maker is that it is very portable,
- it’s designed like a pitcher making it easier to store in the fridge and for pouring into glasses
- plus I love the handle, it makes the maker easy to grip and move around.
- The Takeya is also very small so it would store easily in the fridge
- Easy to clean and dishwasher friendly
- You won’t need to change the filter, its made of a durable fine nylon mesh
- Very Affordable one of the most budget-friendly cold brew maker available
How to Make Nitro Coffee Using a Kegerator
Benefits of Using a Kegerator
- The Kegerator, once it has been set up it, is ideal for making large quantities of Nitro Coffee easily and at a low cost per cup of coffee,
- so it is ideal for coffee shops or if you have an extreme coffee addiction
- Because it uses the right blend of nitrogen gas and oxygen gas the kegerator will give you the same taste as you would get from a can of nitro coffee,
- plus most coffee shops usually use kegerators to make their nitro coffee so you should get the same taste and texture as Nitro coffee bought from a coffee shop
Disadvantages of Using a Kegerator
- The initial setup cost is very high The cost for the parts needed to assemble a kegerator can run into the hundreds of dollars.
- Very hard to set up the Kegerator requires a lot of tools and a lot of patience to assemble you really need to have a DIY mindset to attempt making one.
- Though I have found a package on Amazon that comes with everything you need to set one up, scroll down to see the link.
Where Can You Buy a Kegerator Set Up
I found a decent nitro coffee kegerator package that comes with all the parts, Nitro Kegerator, Click to See the Current Price on Amazon
What Really Is Nitro Coffee
I know a lot of you reading this article might not be too sure what really is Nitro Cold Brew Coffee.
Nitro Coffee is cold brewed coffee, meaning it wasn’t brewed with heat like most coffee instead its brewed slowly at room temperature, which has been infused with Nitrogen gas.
The Nitrogen gas blends with coffee to make Nitro Coffee.
Is Nitrogen Gas Safe
Yes, Nitrogen gas infused in coffee is safe to drink, Nitrogen makes up 70 percent of the air you are currently breathing.
Furthermore, the practice of infusing Nitrogen gas into beverages has been used for decades now from stouts, ales, and lagers all have nitrogen infused inside of them. Citation.
How Does Nitro Coffee Taste Like
The taste of nitro coffee will vary immensely based on the brand and type of coffee you use to make your cold brew nitro coffee.
But generally, nitrogen will give your coffee a sweet and milder taste rather than if it was brewed hot.
The sweetness comes from the nitrogen which tricks your tongue into thinking that it’s sweet, whilst the mildness comes from the fact that coffee wasn’t brewed using heat.
When coffee is heated it releases certain acids stored in the beans which give the coffee that harsh bitterish taste.
Whilst if it was brewed slowly you gain all the flavor without the acid that gives you the intense flavor.
The nitrogen also all gives your coffee a velvety, creamy and smooth sensation in your mouth. This creamy texture comes from the small bubbles formed from the nitrogen gas in the cold brew coffee
Benefits of Nitro Coffee
1-Helps to Reduce Weight
If you are a big fan of drinking coffee, nitro coffee is a much healthier version.
An 8-ounce cup of nitro has around 2 calories, unlike similar tasting coffee that has hundreds of calories. Citation.
Also Nitro coffee usually has significantly higher amounts of caffeine than normal coffee, and caffeine has been shown to increase your metabolism which in turn increases the rate that you burn fat.
2-Reduces the Chance of Diabetes
Plain Nitro Coffee has no sugar or milk added, its just
And the reason why it doesn’t have any sugar is that it doesn’t need any to taste good, the natural flavors from the coffee and nitro makes
Studies show that consuming a large quantity of sugar can increase your chances of developing Type 2 Diabetes. Citation.
So if you are worried about developing Diabetes maybe skip your normal sugary iced coffee and go for a plain Nitro Coffee.
3- Doesn’t Upset Your Stomach
Normal Coffee tends to be much more acidic.
This acidity can cause some people who suffer from indigestion, acid reflux, and with tender stomachs to further aggravate these conditions.
Thankfully Nitro Coffee is made from cold brew coffee which contains none of the acids, which are released only when the coffee is heated, and this means that the nitro coffee wouldn’t be more gentle.
4- Increases Your Energy and Focus
Nitro Coffee has a
The increase in energy from caffeine has shown to give increase your mental capabilities and physical performance. Citation.
I am sure you can all attest to that boost you get from the first cup of joe in the morning, now imagine doubling that boost in energy with the same quantity of coffee.
And because of that Nitro Coffee gives you that increase in energy, it’s even being sold by a lot of gyms as a healthy energy drink.
5- All The Benefits of Coffee Without Some of the Drawbacks
Coffee has tons of amazing benefits such as:
- Reducing the risks of certain diseases such as Parkinson, Alzheimers, dementia and even protecting your liver
- Helps to fight Depression and even helps to make you happier.
- Full of Antioxidants which might help prevent certain types of Cancer. Citations.
The great thing about nitro coffee is that it doesn’t have some of the potential negative things attached to normal coffee.
Which usually have plenty of additives such as milk, sugar, and artificial flavors and syrups which are added to give more taste and simultaneously increase the calories of your coffee.
Nitro coffee, on the other hand, has a great natural taste that doesn’t increase your calorie count.